How to Regrow Green onions From The Root Ends


Yesterday I planted one of our beds out in green onions. Not seeds or sets mind you but with scraps of root ends that get chopped off in prepping and normally thrown away or put in to compost.

  • all I do is cut the bottom 3/4 of an inch or so of the green onion when using leaving a tiny portion of the onion itself and the root.
  • I then throw them in a cup of water in the fridge and let them sit until the next time I plant.
  • If it is going to be a while before the next planting, I change the water every couple days until I do. They will stay good this way for a few weeks if not longer.
  • When I am ready to plant I just stick the root end down in the soil and cover with an inch of soil.

They will regrow rather quickly and be ready to harvest again in a couple months. Once they are a few inches tall begin to trim the greens and use them in soups, salads or whatever else you enjoy them in.